Thursday, April 5, 2012

What a day

It was a bizarre day!  I had a very productive morning.  Trev came in and I did the Velscope PE. (By the way, abnormal tissue will appear red to purple to black through the Velscope.  I will never forget that.)  I did a diagnodent experience and passed off the air powder polisher on him so that I could place a sealant.  I also had a class V patient come in at 9:30.  Took a little longer than I wanted to, but everything went fine.

My afternoon was a little crazy.  MeChel and I were switching patients so that I could finish up my class IVs and she could get some class IIIs.  My patient was a little late and Karlie had to get MeChel's patient numb, so it all worked out.  I had to take some intraoral photos of my patient so that I could use him as my Eagle Soft patient.  The pictures were really blurry and I couldn't figure out why!  MeChel is a genius!  I had put on the barrier back words and didn't have the clear side facing the camera.  Blond moment #1.  Eventually I got some intraoral photos.  My patient then wanted to brush his teeth since he hadn't done that yet.  While he is brushing his teeth he is trying to turn the water on.  I don't know what he did, but all of a sudden water is arching out of the eye flushing station!  Water is going everywhere.  I put the eye covers back on the spout and I show him how to turn the water on.  Water goes spraying everywhere again!  I guess there was a little button at the back of the faucet that my patient had pushed when trying to turn on the water.  You would think it would have occurred to me to explain to my patient how to turn on the motion sensor faucets.  But I didn't.  Blond moment #2!  Finally it is figured out and I get the floor mopped up.  In the midst of all of the confusion, I fail to write in my patient's chart and get it signed before MeChel starts to work on him.  (Thanks for reminding me in front of Alexander, MeChel!  I love you anyway! ;)

At this point I get started on MeChel's patient.  I am feeling really shaky from the beginning of the appointment, but I know that I have to get these quads done.  I get some help from Marilyn on the right side.  I move on to the upper left quad and have an area that I don't feel completely confident about.  I am starting to feel light headed and decide that I would like Perry to come advise me.  I go to get him and explain that I am feeling light headed an that my hands are feeling numb.  The instructors say, "sit down and take off your lab coat and mask."  Perry goes to check my patient.  I missed two areas, but not in the quad in question.  My hands proceeded to feel more and more tingly.  I couldn't get my right thumb to straighten out without real effort.  It was the strangest sensation!  Thank you to everyone who helped me today.  For cleaning up my room, writing in my chart, bagging my instruments, driving me and Zach home!  You guys are the best!

I just don't know how I am going to get out into practice and be able to do perio if I can't do it in school.  I looked at taleval and Perry gave me several checks for lateral pressure, yet I had had him come over to check my lateral pressure and stroke.  He told me it looked and sounded right.  I think he is the only instructor that gives me bad marks.  Maybe it has to do with the fact that he freaks me out and I just do crappy work under pressure!  Maybe things will be better under the supervision of a dentist.  I sure hope so!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah,
    Thanks for switching me patients! All I know is you're amazing and I want to grow up to be just like you!!!

    ReplyDelete